Re: [xml-dev] Interactive XSLT [was RE: James Clark: XML versus the Web]

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
> What I'm trying to imagine is some kind of way of associating XSLT
> templates with user interface events so the dialog structure is
> user-controlled. Of course this raises question about how state is
> maintained; I don't have any well-formulated thoughts on this.

This is why I mentioned continuations... Basically, you use a model
where a call path from the server to the client browser returns back
to the same spot in the template after the client does a submit. State
is maintained on the server in a call tree.   Imagine a syntax
something like: <xslt:call-browser applying-templates="...."> that
built a tree from the applied templates for the main body, with things
like headers and cookies as parameters to the call. The browser back
and forward buttons mean you have to keep some depth of tree hanging
around (and why it is a tree in the first place).  However, you match
up previously invoked continuations (each is uniquely parameterized)
so you can tell what is going on, and you can tell when you can clean
up dangling continuations.

--
Peter Hunsberger