RE: [xml-dev] Interactive XSLT [was RE: James Clark: XML versus theWeb]

Michael,

> What I'm trying to imagine is some kind of way of associating
> XSLT templates with user interface events so the dialog
> structure is user-controlled.

Where I've been involved in similar exercises in the past, where XSLT was used to apply transformation to the data model, we connected the events in the view (UI) to actions (XSLT templates) upon the model by using SMIL's declarative event listeners to dispatch events that were listened for by the controller. The controller would package the event up in an XML representation al-la Remote Events in XML (REX) <http://www.w3.org/TR/rex> and invoked a transform that matched specific classes of event with specific template matches. And, yes, XForms can, in effect, do things like this with the proposed xf:transform action but only so far as invoking a transform based upon a specific event rather than processing events with XSLT. I've also worked upon an stand-alone XSLT implementation of a REX processor.

It's also worth underlining the fact that the SMIL Animation module, as used in SVG, provides for simple 'transformations' (changing attribute values) in the view, or for that matter in a data model embedded in the view, and that may be it is an evolution of, for example, svg:set to svg:transform (not in the matrix sense, but as an XSLT transform) that would allow transformation of complex types.

The idea that you'd have a stream of events, represented as XML, that were matched by specific templates is a fascinating one and not just applicable to UIs but has a more general application to messaging and request processing.

Regards

Philip Fennell
Consultant
MarkLogic Corporation