Re: [xml-dev] Where is XML going

Clearly a well defined goal is a crucial problem here.

I, for one, start with a simple argument based on the following premises and a conclusion:

* XML has many  audiences - but most significantly that of the application developer.

* And what do application developers need when they sit down to create something ?  A fundamental specification language, that is both far simpler and more powerful.  It would have its roots in XML and related standards, which already have powerful support for building models.

* And the most significant of these models are those that support a Model-View-Controller paradigm.  This includes models for Data, for Views, for Communication and for Control.

With this, the developer has a complete foundation for a specification (as opposed to procedural) framework for applications.  Thus, this should define criteria that is both necessary and sufficient to judge any new effort.

Attached are set of Power Point slides that somewhat summarize this approach.