Re: [xml-dev] Towards XML 2.0

My feeling is that since a lot of XML tools are XML-in / XML-out, _any_
differences between XML 1.0 and XML 2.0 are going to bite you unless the
tools are XML 2.0 aware.

I think we need to look at the stake holders in an XML 2.0 initiative.
There's:

- the tool developers
- advanced users
- novice users

If you can improve things for novice users in a way that only requires a few
tweaks by tool developers then I think it should be done because the tool
developers then get a whole bunch more users of their tools.

Application developers are currently choosing between the richness of XML,
in particular its powerful tools, or the simplicity of JSON.  We could
reinvent all the powerful XML tools to run with JSON.  Or we could simplify
XML so that it was as simple as JSON, but, with a few minor tweaks to the
tools, could make use of all the powerful XML tools.  This latter goal seems
the one to go for to me.

The things we're talking about are not major architectural changes.  In
terms of effort they're likely to be little more than maintenance fixes.
Saxon is still being actively developed, as are Xerces and libxml etc.  If
we're talking a day or so's tweaking then let's do it.

We should be brave enough to break a few eggs here!

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info