Re: [xml-dev] What's wrong with namespaces? Some observations and suggestions

>On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
> Elements should have simple (string-valued) names, using hierarchic naming to achieve uniqueness, and context-sensitive abbreviation to achieve conciseness. It should always be legitimate to use the full name if abbreviation is not wanted.
> Hierarchic naming: for example an element might be called :org.w3c.html.table.
> Abbreviation: this might be abbreviated to "table". How is the abbreviated name resolved? Using the hierarchic name of the parent element. So the outermost element gives the full name
> <:org.w3c.html.html>
> and inner elements can use abbreviated names if they are in the same "namespace":
> <:org.w3c.html.html>
> <head>
> <title>...</title>
> </head>
> <:org.w3c.svg.svg>
> <rectangle>
> Of course, this is hopelessly incompatible. Or is it? One could devise a transition mechanism. If we see something like
> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="2.0">
> then we could regard that as merely a quaint old-fashioned way of saying
> <:org.w3c.www.1999.XSL.Transform.stylesheet version="2.0">
> Hierarchic naming with optional abbreviation works so well across so many branches of computing, and indeed real life (for example phone numbers); it's a tragedy that it wasn't adopted from the start.

Very nice!  Just out of interest, would the following (or some slight
variation) be valid?

Seems that the "." notation should be enough to identify that you're
specifying the name space (to some extent) and a colon ":" isn't
needed for this to work?

Peter Hunsberger