Re: [xml-dev] What's wrong with namespaces? Some observations andsuggestions

On 04/12/2010 01:34, Amelia A Lewis wrote:
> Heyo.
>
> So, I've been (recently, publicly) critical of the Namespaces in XML
> specification.  My summary version: when I try to teach someone who
> doesn't care about XML about XML APIs, it's namespaces where they
> Boggle and Fall Down.

I agree with this analyssis.

Elements should have simple (string-valued) names, using hierarchic
naming to achieve uniqueness, and context-sensitive abbreviation to
achieve conciseness. It should always be legitimate to use the full name
if abbreviation is not wanted.

Hierarchic naming: for example an element might be called
:org.w3c.html.table.

Abbreviation: this might be abbreviated to "table". How is the
abbreviated name resolved? Using the hierarchic name of the parent
element. So the outermost element gives the full name

<:org.w3c.html.html>

and inner elements can use abbreviated names if they are in the same
"namespace":

<:org.w3c.html.html>
<head>
<title>...</title>
</head>
<:org.w3c.svg.svg>
<rectangle>

Of course, this is hopelessly incompatible. Or is it? One could devise a
transition mechanism. If we see something like

version="2.0">

then we could regard that as merely a quaint old-fashioned way of saying

<:org.w3c.www.1999.XSL.Transform.stylesheet version="2.0">

Hierarchic naming with optional abbreviation works so well across so
many branches of computing, and indeed real life (for example phone
numbers); it's a tragedy that it wasn't adopted from the start.

Michael Kay
Saxonica