Re: [xml-dev] What's wrong with namespaces? Some observations and suggestions

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
> Elements should have simple (string-valued) names, using hierarchic naming
> to achieve uniqueness, and context-sensitive abbreviation to achieve
> conciseness. It should always be legitimate to use the full name if
> abbreviation is not wanted.
> Hierarchic naming: for example an element might be called
> :org.w3c.html.table.
> Abbreviation: this might be abbreviated to "table". How is the abbreviated
> name resolved? Using the hierarchic name of the parent element. So the
> outermost element gives the full name
> <:org.w3c.html.html>
> and inner elements can use abbreviated names if they are in the same
> "namespace":
> <:org.w3c.html.html>
> <head>
> <title>...</title>
> </head>
> <:org.w3c.svg.svg>
> <rectangle>

It's good to have a syntactically complete example:

This shows an additional advantage: the end tag can be completely abbreviated.

An interesting question is how we would write compact XPath
expressions for XML2:

should select the :org.w3c.html.body element.

Should we have to write:

could it be:

If we don't find convincing counterexamples, I believe such compact
syntax for XPath expressions is appropriate.

Dimitre Novatchev
Never fight an inanimate object
you're doing is work or play