Re: [xml-dev] NextXML.org - a working space.

Dear Ben, dear list members,

Having followed the various discussions with great interest, let me first briefly introduce myself so that you know where I am coming from. I am Nico van de Water, Dutch<->English translator, localizer, technical author and terminologist. My only claim to fame in the XML field is that I have successfully attended several XML and XSLT courses, and have started accumulating my music collection in an XML file, which through XSLT is then reworked into XHTML. Furthermore, I am an end-user of XML documentation files, in that I translate them, rework some XML-modelled linguistic tags in these files, use XML-based translation standards such as TMX, TBX, etc., and find the world of XML fascinating.

Having said that, I believe that one reason why XML is still underused is that non-programming people like ordinary translators cannot find or afford good, clear instruction material on all things XML. I have colleagues who refuse to translate XML-based material out of sheer fright, ignorance or embarrassment. So my main plea for the newly initiated NextXML.org would be to include meaningful examples, not necessarily for translators, but lucid enough for novices like me and my colleagues to spark an interest, to become useful, and to overcome this fear or embarrassment. This may be a far cry from what many of you (especially very advanced XML experts, gurus, developers, etc.) may have in mind, but for information to be meaningful, it must communicate something.

I will probably not be able to contribute anything meaningful to this "Next XML" discussion, but will follow it to the best of my ability.

With thanks and best regards,
Nico.