Re: [xml-dev] Where is XML going

On 12/5/10 7:01 PM, Michael Kay wrote:
> I've learned recently that for a lot of people when they say "on the
> web" or "web developers" or "the web community", they are not talking
> about the web at all (that is, the set of interlinked content made
> available via HTTP-accessible web sites) - they are talking about the
> stuff in the browser that accesses it. Which I used to think was outside
> the web. All very confusing.

"Web developer" has had a browser-centric meaning for two reasons:

* It used to be that's all there was, in the days of static sites.

* Server-side development has no "web" core - it's a million different
technologies doing whatever someone thought was cool at the time.

If you actually want to be able to have a detailed conversation about
web technologies, unless you're surrounded by people from the same
ecosystem, HTTP _and the things it serves_ are the core conversation,
not the tools for producing those things.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/