Re: [xml-dev] What's wrong with namespaces? Some observations and suggestions

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Michael Sokolov <sokolov@ifactory.com> wrote:
> I would like the namespace-sensitivity of
>
> select="table"
>
> to be the same as the namespace-sensitivity of
>
> select="./table"
>
> but I think your proposal for the latter. Dimitre, would require that the
> table children selected by the ./table expression have the same namespace as
> the current node, whereas Michael's previous post, which you seemed to be
> endorsing (?), would have the first expression above select table children
> in any namespace.
>
> I'm not sure which solution is best, but I do know I want consistency

Both of these have a verbose and abreviated variant.

I don't believe that the abreviated variant that overgenerates is
really abreviated -- because one will need additional expression parts
in order to get the elements that are *exactly* wanted.

As a learning exercise it is good to have people initially start using
the full form and then gradually to start using the abreviated form as
they know what they want. There is motivation in learning to
transition from long to short form of expression.

On the contrary, whenever people learn first the short form, the
motivation to learn and use something longer is certainly not big, if
positive at all.

So, if the short form overgenerates, as is the case with what Michael
Kay defined in his last message, people will have more difficulties
learning to use more selective expressions, because they would be
longer.

This is the reason I am proposing abbreviations that do not overgenerate.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev