Re: [xml-dev] Where is XML going

I've been thinking about doing something like this as an alternative to having to invoke a transformation using Javascript. The main drawback seems to be that it's hard to parameterize it, that is, to make anything dependent on data content or user input.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

Again, I think this is where form binding comes in. Form fields are treated as parameters for generating query strings, you can create a <form> binding with nothing but hidden fields for those cases where your client is handling the parameterization in the background. Such forms wouldn't necessarily even have to have submit buttons associated with them. You can't necessarily specify datatypes, of course, but then again I think when you get to that stage you're probably better at going to a formal transformation invocation anyway. I see this in the same way that I see a lot of HTML - it is intended to get that 80% of use cases that developers will utilize most often encapsulated as a tag.

Kurt Cagle