Re: [xml-dev] NextXML.org - a working space.

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@ibiblio.org> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Ben Trafford <ben@prodigal.ca> wrote:

> The reason I think this is necessary is because the scope of the
> discussion is quickly being ill-served by a mailing list. People are
> starting to present proposals and samples and whatnot -- it'd be good to
> have a place to put them.

I don't think so. Right now we're just throwing a bunch of random
ideas at a wall to see what sticks. If anything happens, then assume
that none of this is what it will eventually look like. I doubt any of
this discussion is worth saving beyond the memories of the
participants, and that only in so far as it leads us to future
decisions. The question now is not, "What is to be done?" It is,
"Should anything be done?" and "Can anything useful be done?" If those
are answered in the affirmative, then it will be time to set up
systems to collect thoughts and organize discussion (though that too
will probably be primarily a mailing list, not a WIKI). But not yet.

To be fair, throwing up a wiki for Atom syntax (i.e. PIE ;) ) pretty early proved beneficial, even though there was just as much disparity, and even the name was far from settled (the name was determined by vote by active wiki participants).  I don't know for sure whether nextxml.org is too early, but that experience makes me feel it might not be so.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Weblog: http://copia.ogbuji.net