relax UTF-8 default? was: [xml-dev] Towards XML 2.0

Does newXML being treatable as a string mean the *UTF-8 default* requirement
is better relaxed in some way? I mean, a developer writing a string doesn't want
to have to ensure it is all written in UTF-8 do they? They might be happy enough
to escape the special XML characters (<,>,",& and maybe in some cases ' too)
but to have to worry about whether a 'pounds sterling' symbol is ISO-8859-1 or
or not is probably going to be more than they can bear (without a pay
rise!). OK,
so removing this UTF-8 default might be a breaking change but if it removes what
might be a major stumbling block isn't it worthwhile? Or would
relaxing this either
a) not solve their problem or b) create a worse problem which can't be solved
another way? Why can't tools just work out from either the context or the text
itself (or file) what the encoding is (doesn't a simple tool like
Notepad do this?).

----
Stephen D Green