Re: [xml-dev] Multiple instances of an attribute Re: [xml-dev]Towards XML 2.0

The treatment of lists is indeed a big issue in XML, misunderstood by lots of people.
Some of them systematically wrap the list into a markup list :
<foo>
<valuelist>
    <value>123</value>
    <value>456</value>
</valuelist>
</foo>

which is incredibly verbose compared to the JSON { "foo": ["bar", "spam"] }
A better solution is to use xsd:list datatype :
<foo value="bar spam"/>
but that is not known. I have seen a REST javadoc generator which uses xsd:list for a list of markups...
There are still critical Axis bugs opened on the serialization of String[] values, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2250
Even without a schema you can get that value "bar spam" and split it, that is not XML philosophy, but...
I agree it would be better not to have to define a schema in order to get that list.

Regards
Nicolas Debeissat