Re: [xml-dev] Re: Javascript and plugging holes

> Not really. Most of the features of jQuery operate within the DOM of the page and, thus, aren't exploiting any holes.
>
> Only cross-domain loading of JSON-P/scripts could be considered a powerful feature that relies of a feature that would be considered a hole if introduced today.

OK, I'm no expert on all this but from what I've seen it looks to
me like Javascript is allowed to do things (and jQuery makes use
of this) which other technologies like CSS are sometimes
forbidden to do. It's an out-of-date example but I remember some
issues over CSS pseudo elements which were, I thought, not
allowed in some browsers because, I assume, they caused
security concerns with allowing elements to be inserted from a
file outside the webpage (even if it is in the same domain). Even
now I get problems with jQuery if changing elements where any
CSS processing is invoked, and I've taken this to be because the
CSS processor has to be very cautious, but the same changes
are allowed without any problems when no CSS is involved. I'm
thinking that CSS implementations in browsers are more cautious
because someone sat down and said what was risky and what
wasn't, while Javascript doesn't seem to me to have yet been
put to the same scrutiny. That might come later and break jQuery.
Can anyone back this up with better facts/examples? It is always
the pwoer of a scripting language that makes it a security risk as
the script kiddies writing and reusing viruses get to be able to do
things they can only wonder at. Declarative languages seem far
safer because there is more control in the processor in how they
achieve their end result: So it seems to me. I hope that is obvious.

On the JSON, it still relies on newer browsers supporting native
JSON parsing and on some recent safer parsers than the initial
eval() which is considered unsafe. This means there are probably
quiet a few JSON implementations still using eval() either because
they haven't been changed to the safer parsers or because they
are being run in browsers other than the latest native-JSON ones.
So things are still in flux and someone might come along and plug
the security hole by stopping JSON using eval somehow and so
break many implementations out there which still rely on it. These
are just a couple of cases and cases come along all the time. I
did a quick search on 'Javascript security' and JSON came up
all over the place with warnings (especially about eval of course).

----
Stephen D Green