Re: [xml-dev] Status of MicroXML?

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 09:47:53 +0530, Mukul Gandhi wrote:
> I felt that developing something like XML 2.0/3.0 (which are discussed
> in other threads by Liam and Elliotte I believe) to add and fix things
> from XML 1.0/1.1,
[snip]
> Perhaps the idea of MicroXML looks like a language profile concept,
> which to my opinion is fine
[snip]

Two comments:

1) I don't think that there is anything like consensus about what an
"XML 2.0" should look like.  I don't think much discussion of the topic
has happened here, although a few people have suggested directions.
I'm not sure that I've seen two people agreeing.  I don't know how or
when an XML successor (whether it's 2.0 or just Different Approach to
Markup Now language) will happen; I think it will *have* to admit that
there are some mistakes made in 1.0 (but I'm not certain that we have
adequate consensus on what the mistakes are, as yet).

2) I tend to agree that I'm losing interest in JC's MicroXML, presented
as a profile/"best practice" for XML 1.0.  I don't think that the
things that it removes are all well-enough justified (and I'm not
convinced that it's justified in *not* removing the last bits of
doctype decl, either), and I don't feel that it's giving enough weight
to the multiple-vocabulary issue.  I remain uncomfortable with the
notion that MicroXML can't be reliably distinguished from XML 1.0, so
that it may be impossible to gain the benefit of the (hypothetical)
simpler parsers (the benefit to developers/authors remains; it *is*
simpler to explain, apart from the hand-waving at "play nice with
HTML5, except sometimes").

I continue to think that a variant that can be mapped one-to-one onto
XML 1.0 (though the reverse may not, indeed should not, be true) with
low-cost tools (the equivalent of a well-defined stylesheet), but that
offers a more robust path forward as tools are incrementally upgraded
is the better path.  I don't think that this is it, yet.  "XML 2.0"
goes too far and costs too much; MicroXML (in my opinion) doesn't go
far enough (except where it goes too far ... *sigh*).

Well, and I'd agree with [can't find the cite, now], who suggested that
if we're going to do any *one* thing, we deal with the namespaces
mess.  I'll reiterate my reading of the problem: there isn't a
canonical "full-name" that can be used by other specifications, which
means that binding a namespace to a prefix has to happen in some
context, and there's inadequate assurance that the context will
transfer with the syntax, depending upon where you make your cut before
pasting.  Let's a) give up on putting namespaces in attributes
completely, and b) provide a mechanism that divides the global
space-for-names in a distributed fashion without requiring
context-dependent mapping (optional mapping is okay).

And in a slightly different direction: I don't see any value in
attempting to achieve conformance/compatibility with HTML5.  My reading
of that WG is that it is powerfully antipathetic to the
extensibility/generality of XML, and is unwilling to take any steps
toward reconciling incompatibilities.  XML *cannot* introduce different
parsing behaviors dependent upon the GI of the tag parsed (it is, by
design, indifferent to the identifiers of tags); HTML5 is unwilling to
accept introduction of a mode or indicator that would follow the
otherwise-universal rules for these specific tags when encountered in
XML.  Impasse; accept that HTML5 is something different from XML, from
SGML, from any proposed variant or profile or enhancement of XML.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
Love is never less for being shared.