Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] XQuery in the Browser, JavaScript Edition

As a follow-up, I've been playing with xqib-js on my laptop most of the evening, and my reaction to this has escalated from "cool" to "incredible!" to "this is a frigging game changer!!". I've already started writing an article on it, should have something published over the weekend.

I've just been playing around with it, after installing the archive, and have ended up with a quick "test" script:

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
    <title>XQIB: Sample page</title>
    <script type="text/javascript" src=""mxqueryjs/mxqueryjs.nocache.js"></script>
    <script type="text/xml" src=""/lib/resources/colors.xml"" id="data"></script>
    <script type="text/xquery">
       declare variable $foo := "XQuery!";

        declare function local:get-color-list($url as xs:string) as node(){
          (let $colors := fn:doc($url) return
           <h3>Colors</h3>
           <ul>{
            for $term in $colors//*:term
               return
                <li style="color:{$term/*:value}">
                </li>
                }
          </ul></div>)
          };

       declare updating function local:main() {
         let $eltnames := ("h1","h2","h3","h4","h5","h6","fieldset")
         let $elts := for $eltname in $eltnames return element {$eltname} {"This is a test. This is only a test."}
         let $bar := b:dom()//div[@id='bar']
         let $table :=
                 <th>Element Name</th>
                 <th>Example Text</th>
               {for $index in (1 to fn:count($elts))
                return <tr>
                }
         return (
      insert node <div>{$elts}</div> as first into $bar,
      insert node $table as last into $bar,
      insert node <div>{fn:string-join(fn:tokenize("red,green,blue,yellow",","),";")}</div>  as last into $bar,
      insert node local:get-color-list("http://localhost:8100/lib/resources/colors.xml") as last into $bar,
      insert node <div>{$foo}</div> as last into $bar)
       };
    </script>
  </head>
    <h1>Test Page</h1>
    <hr></hr>

The scripts are fast too - running this in both Chrome and Firefox, the refresh is a shade slower than what you'd expect for JavaScript by itself, but far faster than the plugin (which had a bad tendency to crash on me when I used it).

On game-changing - one of the central problems that XML has had on the web is that XML parsing using DOM is, to put it bluntly, a pain in the butt, yet it is how an overwhelming majority of the people working with web page content deal with it. Not surprisingly, this has led to the rise of JSON, which is certainly parseable in the Javascript world, but for people working with XML content on the server, JSON is a pain as well.

If the test that I see here is any indication, xqib-js may change that equation dramatically. I could easily see this as the foundation for an XQuery based XForms system. It makes both inline and externally loaded XML manipulation possible - indeed, makes it trivially simple. It puts XQuery into the hands of web developers, rather than just database developers, which should increase the number of XQuery skilled devs. It provides another client for XRX applications (I'm already envisioning how you could make a very effective database "reader" with it). It makes binding easy - instead of needing a specialized function for retrieving items of a given class, you can get a list of all items of a given class as

let $class-items := b:dom()//*[$class = tokenize(@class," ")]

and then bind these to sets of events that generate differing representations depending upon the state of the relevant elements and the events in question.

Eagerly awaiting the completed suite,

Kurt Cagle
Managing Editor, xmltoday.org

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote:

Just been playing with it in ff4 on my Android ... very, very cool