RE: [xml-dev] text nodes of document in XDM

Thank you.

My goals are not so much historical archeology ... but rather to try to
understand the intent, and current use, in the hopes of being able to make
an informed decision as to what features to "support" in an XDM model,
and which I could argue (to myself if not others) needn't be supported
except as a legacy concession (or at all).

By "support" I know that is vague, but I don't have a better word yet.
I'm trying to reanimate my thinking and work on an XDM Serialization
specification which is usable for data exchange.
So for example if I serialize to a stream (or file)

    document {  1 , "hi" , <foo/> , 2 }

then then deserialize that back into XDM values ... how "important" is it to
reconstruct the sequence inside the document.
Again I know that is vague, as who can judge "importance" ... but alas a
judgment call may need to be made.

In my personal case, its not important at all to me because I would never
(knowingly) construct such a node.   And in fact it came as a great surprise
that XDM supported it.
(learn something new every day !)

So I'm trying to figure out to what an extent fidelity of data exchange is
really needed in this case or is it primarily academic, and how much effort
to put into handling it.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org