Re: [xml-dev] text nodes of document in XDM

> By "support" I know that is vague, but I don't have a better word yet.
> I'm trying to reanimate my thinking and work on an XDM Serialization
> specification which is usable for data exchange.
> So for example if I serialize to a stream (or file)
>
>      document {  1 , "hi" ,<foo/>  , 2 }
>
> then then deserialize that back into XDM values ... how "important" is it to
> reconstruct the sequence inside the document.

As far as I can see, the only reason anyone would want to use your new
serialization format is because it round-trips any XDM instance losslessly.

I might be prepared to put up with a few restrictions, such as losing
unparsed entities or the base URI property, but not with this one.

Concerning your example

document {  1 , "hi" ,<foo/>  , 2 }

that isn't, of course, a representation of an XDM instance. It's a query
whose result would be best represented as

document{ text{"1 hi"}, element {foo}{}, text{"2"} }

Michael Kay
Saxonica