RE: [xml-dev] text nodes of document in XDM

Thanks for the clarification.
I didn't realize that the concatenation of adjacent items in a document node
was done at document creation time.
But sure enough,
	document { 1 , "hi" , <foo/> , 2 }/node()[1]

results in "1 hi"

But it seems more then just text nodes survive this at construction time
atleast.
I'm able to get PI's and comments as separate nodes within documents

document { 1, <?PI hi?> , <!-- comment --> }/node()[3]

returns <!-- comment -->

And so does

document { 1, text{"hi"} , text{"there"} , <?PI hi?> ,  <!-- comment -->
}/node()[3]

Assuming theses XQuery constructors produce valid XDM immediately (since I
only serialized the result, not the docment).

My extrapoliation from this is that only atomic and text nodes are
concatenated into text nodes, and other node types where allowed are left as
a sequence,
as part of constructing XDM (not serializing it).

As for use of XDM Serialization,  I won't expound on it much further now,
but there are other powerful use cases.
But they do all derive from the requirement of round-tripping XDM ->
serialized -> XDM with minimal loss.
One such use case is an "XDM Resource" stored in a file.  (Imagine a mini
XDM database represented as a text file ... )
Another is storing the parameters (or providing as text by another non-xml
process)  as well as the input context for a call to xquery, xpath , or xslt

There are others , but yes they all have as a core requirement the ability
to get XDM out of proprietary in-memory representations into a stream and
back with as little change reasonable.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org