RE: [xml-dev] DTD vs XSD: No Duplicate Types in (Mixed) Content Models

I wasn’t there (for either SGML or XSD's creation) but I can see some rationale behind this behaviour.
Imagine a data binding use case (say a SOAP message).
If you want to bind sequential elements you'd typically put them in a class/struct say

class message {
      b 	b1,b2,b3,b4,b5;
};

But if you see a min/max occurs then this may imply an array instead

class message {
      b[maxOccurs] 	bs;
};

In the first case if the parse sees    b,b,b,b

Which member should it populate for the 4th b ?

So I can see why if XSD is used in a data binding use case these rules are very useful.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org