Re: [xml-dev] element census tool?

Oh what the heck.  I might as well offer a quick and dirty Amara [1] recipe.

import sys

import amara
from amara.lib.util import element_subtree_iter
from amara.xpath.util import abspath

doc = amara.parse(sys.argv[1])
top_prefixes = dict(doc.xml_select('*')[0].xml_namespaces)
for e in element_subtree_iter(doc):
    print abspath(e, prefixes=top_prefixes)
    attrs = dict(e.xml_attributes)
    if attrs:
        print '\t', attrs

So for example:

python element_census.py http://www.retards.org/library/technology/computers/programming/xml/example-xbel.xml | head
{(None, u'version'): u'1.0'}
{(None, u'folded'): u'yes'}
{(None, u'folded'): u'yes'}
{(None, u'href'): u'http://www.sciam.com/1999/0599issue/0599bosak.html'}

Pretty easy to tweak or format and details of report, etc.

In the example above I pass along a URL.  You can also pass along a file name, if you like.

[1] http://www.xml3k.org/Amara

Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Weblog: http://copia.ogbuji.net
Poetry ed @TNB: http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/author/uogbuji/