Re: [xml-dev] XML Redux

The ^^ notation in N3 has always rather bothered me, if only because visually, the ^ character in text tends to blend in, but I also know that if programmers had their druthers all keyboards would include an additional 100 non-alphabetic characters.

Kurt Cagle
Member and Invited Expert
XForms, HTML Working Group
World Wide Web Consortium
kurt.cagle@gmail.com
443-837-8725

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
Michael Kay scripsit:

> What data structures do we need? Basically those in JSON, plus
> structured text.

Sounds good to me, and I like the name "Jaxon", which currently seems
to be mostly used as a spelling variant of "Jackson".

> * Maps (key - value pairs)
>
> * Sequences of values
>
> * Strings, numbers, booleans
>
> * Text elements

If you are going to break JavaScript compatibility, which is one of
JSON's important features, then you might as well go a little further:

* The full range of IEEE 754 floats

* Language tagging in data

* XSD simple types

> For syntax, extend JSON with one additional kind of value - the text
> element - which looks like an XML element today, except that the
> attributes are replaced by a property of an element called its metadata
> which may be any of the above kind of values - most often a map, but not
> restricted.

I'd add 0.inf, -0.inf, and 0.nan syntax for infinities and NaNs, ISO
8601 syntax for gDate and gDateTime, and the ability to add XSD simple
type names (prepended with "^^") and language tags (prepended with "@")
to a JSON literal in either order.  N3 allows this on string literals
only, but 32^^integer seems better to me than "32"^^integer.

It would probably make sense to allow only a subset of simple types.

--
The Unicode Standard does not encode            John Cowan
idiosyncratic, personal, novel, or private      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan