Re: [xml-dev] XML Redux

Kurt Cagle scripsit:

> The ^^ notation in N3 has always rather bothered me, if only because
> visually, the ^ character in text tends to blend in, but I also know that if
> programmers had their druthers all keyboards would include an additional 100
> non-alphabetic characters.

It's just maddening to think of all the symbolic riches of Unicode being
essentially out of reach because of the 101-key keyboard standard.  What
we need is the space-cadet keyboard, which had "shift", "top", and "front"
keys to generate different characters, and "control", "meta" (aka "alt"),
"super", and "hyper" keys to generate novel non-graphic characters.

Still, "^^" or something like it is really needed in order to extend the
type system, whereas metadata on an element will suffice for language tagging.

When I'm stuck in something boring              John Cowan
where reading would be impossible or            (who loves Asimov too)
rude, I often set up math problems for          cowan@ccil.org
myself and solve them as a way to pass          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
the time.      --John Jenkins