Re: [xml-dev] XML Redux

Original Message From: "Dave Pawson"

>>     abstract: <<para { style : "bold" }>Here be some dragons</para>>
>>
>> such that '<' denotes the start of a special kind of construct in the
>> same way that '{', '[', and '"' denote the start of special kinds of
>> construct.
>

> Or require that 'text' be contained in markup, as per xml 1.0?
> Doesn't sound onerous Pete?
>
> Why would you want it *not* to start with markup?

Hi Dave,

I figure if you consider JSON to be a set of name-value pairs of the form:

    name : value

then the equivalent form for XML elements is:

    <name>value</name>

Therefore a value of type marked-up text ought to correspond to the
'content' production in XML, which is:

[43]    content    ::=    CharData? ((element | Reference | CDSect | PI |
Comment) CharData?)*

i.e., it needn't start with a start tag.

Also, if you require an initial start tag, then you are effectively doing:

    name : <name>value</name>

giving an additional XML name to the value that already has a name from
JSON, which seems redundant.

I suppose yet another way to look at it is, is the 'value' simply 'marked-up
text' (which in simple cases could actually be text with no markup at all)
or is it 'XML text'?

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info