Re: [xml-dev] XHTML 5 and validation

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:11 PM, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:
> why can't you set the parser to xml and the schema to html5 ?

Why should I? How could it help?

The problem is not to get my XHTML document with an XML declaration
and <!DOCTYPE html> and file extension ".html" validated as XHTML5.
But it only happens if I use mimetype "application/xhtml+xml" or
similar. As far as I know, at least that is what I normally do, I need
to fine tune a webserver to supply that mimetype or to set it with
server-side code.

In the good old days of XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1, I could get my
documents validated against there proper DTDs just by sending them
with the "text/html" default mimetype. That is not the case with
XHTML5. And makes XHTML5 much more difficult to use, at least as long
as the validators use the mimetype to detect if a document using
<!DOCTYPE html> wants to be validated as HTML5 or XHTML5.

And both David and Jirka ignore the other part of my question. We have
no way, with the mentioned Validators, to validate if an HTML5
document is well-formed and use lower-case consistently for element
and attribute names.

As it is now we can only choose between XHTML5 with mimetype
"application/xhtml+xml" or similar, and HTML5 that does not need to be
well-formed and where any combination of upper and lower case is
allowed in the same document.

If the above is true, it is not very likely to see well-formed HTML5
with consistent use of lower case in the future and it is not very
likely that more than a handful of people (including me) will use
XHTML5 with the proper mimetype.

Cheers
Jesper Tverskov
http://www.xmlplease.com