Re: [xml-dev] XML Namespaces 1.1

Original Message From: "David Lee"

> ============ Pete
>> In all my "island" work I dont bother with namespaces at all.
>
> That's a good point David.  But I do believe that a number of XML
> applications communicate via the sea (!!!!) of the Internet and for that
> reason I like to include some namespace information in the XML instances.
> =============
>
> Well now you have a cake and want to eat it :) (to streatch the
> metaphore).
> If you want to talk across the sea your no longer an island and all the
> issues brought up in this thread regarding compatibility apply.
>
> I don't  think you can have it both ways.

Sadly the poetic appeal of "the Internet is the sea" caused me to jump too
quickly!  On closer examination I'm talking about different sets of islands.

In the Internet is the sea case, the indivbidual host computers would be the
islands.

But many computers could be running an XML based application that is an
island independent of other XML applications.  For example, you could have a
music service playlist that was encoded using XML, and that would be an
island independent of, say, a payroll application that also used XML.  Both
applications would send data over the Internet.

As potentially any message from the Internet can end up at any application
running on a computer I like the idea of having a namespace for a message.
Maybe it's just a comfort blanket though!

Hope that makes sense.

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info
Twitter: http://twitter.com/petecordell