Re: [xml-dev] HTML5 and almost no namespaces

Pete Cordell scripsit:

> By this argument 'name' is not ambiguous because of its context.
> In fact its quite easy to define a schema that has multiple 'name'
> elements with different meanings.  I believe some would say that is
> bad design though.

But are the meanings really different?  A name is a name.  Here's a
better example:

<book>
  <title>Mary Barton</title>
  <author>
    <nameProfile>
      <purpose>legal</purpose>
      <givenName>Elizabeth</givenName>
      <familyName>Gaskell</familyName>
    </nameProfile>
    <nameProfile>
      <purpose>authorial</purpose>
      <title>Mrs.</title>
      <familyName>Gaskell</familyName>
    </nameProfile>
  </author>
</book>

Here there is genuine ambiguity between the title of a book and the
title of a person.  The name profile schema I mentioned in my last
post uses "prefix" instead.  But even if it didn't, the context would
disambiguate between book/title and nameProfile/title.

--
Values of beeta will give rise to dom!          John Cowan
(5th/6th edition 'mv' said this if you tried    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan