Re: [xml-dev] Compelling use case for XML Catalogs?

Mike Sokolov scripsit:

> The examples that have been given provide compelling reasons to map
> URLs in XML files to local resources.  They don't really explain why
> XML Catalogs is a good way to do that, nor do they contrast it with
> any other approach to the same problem.  I'd be interested in that,
> too, having dealt with this problem (validating XHTML, resolving DTD
> locations to local resources, ignoring DTDs, etc) in a variety of
> ways, but never using XML catalogs.

A catalog is just a map of URIs (and public ids, if you want) to other
URIs.  It's a standard format designed by OASIS, paralleling an earlier
SGML catalog standard.  It's supported by a number of parsers and
validators.

What more arguments do you want?  There are a number of ways this
*could* be done; doing it *this* way means it just works.

--
The first thing you learn in a lawin' family    John Cowan
is that there ain't no definite answers         cowan@ccil.org