Re: [xml-dev] Compelling use case for XML Catalogs?

On 06/11/2011 01:32 AM, Manos Batsis wrote:
> On 06/11/2011 12:59 AM, Mike Sokolov wrote:
>> The examples that have been given provide compelling reasons to map URLs
>> in XML files to local resources. They don't really explain why XML
>> Catalogs is a good way to do that, nor do they contrast it with any
>> other approach to the same problem. I'd be interested in that, too,
>
> Portability: The way I see it, it's a somewhat portable way of defining
> resource aliases - at least when compared to others. An app can carry
> those resources and their aliases with it, for example when going to a
> picnic or a staging/production environment.

Got another one. An XML catalog should prove easier to maintain or
extend VS a purely programmatic approach, e.g. an EntityResolver [1]
implementation that is ignorant of XML catalogs.

[1]
http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/org/xml/sax/EntityResolver.html

Manos