RE: [xml-dev] getting started with HR-XML

Likewise.

I've been a recruiter (in my dark past) and worked with many recruiters and companies.

Not once has anyone ever asked for or been willing to accept XML formatted resumes from candidates.

The current standard is Doc , PDF and HTML.

Each shop tends to have its own database format (there's lots ...)  ... in the dark past resumes were scanned or faxed then OCR'd into the DB.  Later they started being able to import text formats (which is why even today Doc or HTML is preferable to PDF because it can import more easily into whatever format the recruiter/HR is using internally).

If you want a resume in XML as the source (great !) pick or invent a schema that can format to one of the above easily.  I would then ask the recipient on a case by case basis what format they prefer and send them that format.  The less work they have to do, the more you are in charge of conversion and less chance of errors.  Plus it puts HR in a better mood if they don't have to work to convert your "strange" format.

David A. Lee

dlee@calldei.com

http://www.xmlsh.org