Re: [xml-dev] [ANNOUNCE] New MicroXML draft available

Doesn't the 'rub' lie in the 'need' for prefixes for attributes, though?

If you want to allow attributes with namespace prefixes in MicroXML, won't
that mean the complexity of namespaces sneaks back in, e.g. then having
to provide an XML-compatible way to bind the prefix to its namespace (with
complexity over where the binding declaration can be made - at head of
document and/or on the element, etc)? Or would it be that the prefix, though
allowed in the attribute name, is just treated as a special part of the name
without any explicit binding to a namespace?
----
Stephen D Green

On 12 July 2011 23:40, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
Peter Flynn scripsit:

> Would adding the colon to nameChar to enable that reservation be too
> much of a temptation to people to start using element type names
> containing namespace-like prefixes, even though they would just be
> opaque strings as far as MicroXML is concerned?

At the moment, element names like foo:bar are not allowed in MicroXML,
which is what I was trying to express.  The only way to give an element
a namespace is using the xmlns attribute.  Attributes are allowed to
have prefixes and are bound with xmlns:foo attributes, as in XML.

In any case, the work proposed for xml:* elements is now being done by
xml-* PIs, and MicroXML accommodates them just fine.

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
O beautiful for patriot's dream that sees beyond the years