Re: [xml-dev] IE9 and application/xhtml+xml

Thanks Jirka

I stated that all major browsers except IE9, show an error message if
there is a well-formedness error. But IE9 switches to HTML parsing
instead of showing an error message.

Jirka Kosek answered: "No, IE9 stops processing and renders content
before the first error."

That is correct, but there still is a mimetype problem. I used the
following test file having a well-formedness error and served it with
mimetype "application/xhtml+xml".

It is true that IE9 renders the file until the error. I didn't notice
it the first time around because the error is almost at the end of the

The switching of mimetypes, I based on the following:

I pressed F12 in IE9 to validate the file, and the validator reported
"text/html". I have now redone the test without the well-formedness
error. The validator still reports "text/html" when opened in IE9
first. If the file is validated directly, the validator reports valid
HTML5 served with mimetype "application/xhtml+xml".

We know now that IE9 switches mimetype from "application/xhtml+xml" to
"text/html" when you _validate_ a file served with
"application/xhtml+xml" in IE9 pressing F12.

The XML spec, 5.1, says: "Validating and non-validating processors
alike MUST report violations of this specification's well-formedness
constraints ..."

IE9 is in my judgement wrong, just rendering the webpage until the
error, not reporting the error.

Thanks for helping me sorting this out.

Jesper Tverskov