From: "Jirka Kosek" <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Fri, Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm
Subject: [xml-dev] IE9 and application/xhtml+xml
To: "Jesper Tverskov" <jesper.tverskov@gmail.com>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

On 19.8.2011 9:50, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> All major browsers today support mimetype "application/xhtml+xml":
> IE9+, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Chrome. They all render XML webpages
> incrementally. Very nice.
>
> They all, except IE9, show an error message if there is a well-formedness error.
>
> But IE9 switches to HTML parsing instead of showing an error message!

No, IE9 stops processing and renders content before the first error.

> Question. IE9's behavior is in my opinion in opposition to what the
> spec demands.

AFAIK no specification ever prohibited web-browser from trying to fix
broken XHTML by using different more lenient parser.

> I find it confusing but could
> it be the way forward to get "application/xhtml+xml" more widely
> adopted?

Maybe, but realistically what is advantage of serving web page as
application/xhtml+xml instead of text/html? Try to forget to XML bias
which most of xml-dev subscribers probably have. ;-)

Jirka

 Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz