Re: [xml-dev] A proposal for simplify XML text editing and subsequentprocessing

On 08/21/2011 03:35 AM, Philip Fearon wrote:
>> Seems a reasonable approach for a GUI for new data.
>>
> Depending on your precise definition for a GUI, perhaps this proposal
> could still work in predominantly keyboard-driven text-only interfaces
> (hopefully it's Ok to mention emacs and vi)? For such text-only tools
> where there's no adjustable left-margin as such, I would hope it's
> possible to emulate this behavior using padding characters but
> tracking them continuously as they're inserted by the tool and
> protecting them so that they can be stripped safely (knowing that the
> user didn't type these characters) when the XML is saved, so to all
> intents and purposes they never existed. I haven't tried this, and I'm
> far from certain that users of this type of tool would even welcome
> it.

I use emacs/nxml-mode and would welcome such an option. Even better
though would be the ability to insert "intelligent" virtual line breaks
so that editing 20MB xml files with no line breaks becomes feasible
without destructive whitespace modifications.  Was that part of your
proposal too?

-Mike