RE: [xml-dev] The Social Phenomena that Leads to a Diversity of Data Formats and the Ensuing Data Interchange Challenges

I had a similar experience about half a decade later (or maybe not but half-decade *technology* later)
I was in charge of the Campus Student computers.   A recent "Modern" replacement to the VAX/780s ...
(which were in turn a replacement to the IBM/360 which went its merry way to JPL where it might still be in use today ... who knows).
The "modern" replacements were 4 x   DataGeneral MV4000 "Mini computers".
Only 2 fridges tall instead of 5 ...

One day one broke and we had to call the tech (suit, tie, briefcase etc).   He came in and went with his list of diags to perform which he admitted were not in order of likely failure, but in order of cost to replace...
( hardware was still more expensive the human time).  He tried booting the computer (no boot).
The first question he asked me was "Did you turn the power off ?" ... Very sheepishly I said "What do you mean" ... The power was obviously ON ... he asked again ... "Did at any time you turn the power off ..."  ... <duck> "Yes" ... "Oh well where do you store the microcode tapes .... "  huh ???
Turns out you couldn't boot the device from power-down state to even the normal OS boot  ...
you had to boot Microcode FIRST which loaded in the microcode and only then could you boot from the OS tapes ...   It had never crossed my mind that microcode would be in volatile memory ...

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org