Re: [xml-dev] RE: Build Rich Complexity from a Small Set ofWell-Defined Markup Combinators

I'm not sure I understand how “markup combinators” are defined and why
are they called like this, but they seem to be the named global
components of the XML Schema and the xs:schema element itself. If I
understand well, the base of this grouping is the fact that  they can
all be referenced from within a schema, either by name, or by URI. The
referencing is done with the purpose of providing modularity so that
grammars can be assembled in a variety of ways.

If this is the case, the RELAX NG correspondent of “markup
combinators” is not what was previously called the “basic patterns”.

In RELAX NG referencing is achieved with rng:ref within one
rng:grammar pattern, rng:parentRef  to the parent rng:grammar pattern
within the same schema document entity, and rng:externalRef  over
different schema document entities. In all those situations the
reference is replaced by the referenced.

For allowing redefinitions, additional grammar assembling mechanisms
are available, namely the merging of grammars using rng:include
element and the combining of definitions of the same name using the
combine attribute.

Greetings,
Radu Cernuta