RE: [xml-dev] What is this principle called: "I' send data in my UOM and you convert it, as needed, to your UOM"?

Another way I think of this (not to answer the question for which I agree I
have never heard a precise term).
I thinik "What is the purpose of the measurement".

For example what is  the *intent* of sending "1/3" rather than the decimal
approximation ?
This is the key.  There may in fact be legitimate purposes where decimals do
not fit.
For example a CAD drawing constrain may contain a "rule" that is expressed
as a formula.
Or maybe a MATHL construct where you want to present "1 / 3" as text not
.33333x   Or a textbook on fractions.
Or a recipe book  "1/3 cup of milk".
If the *intent* is to literally send fractions in fraction notation  (note
this is not an issue of Units it is an issue of mathematical notation) then
sending "1/3" may be the right way.  So might  "pi/3+sqrt(-1)"

Intent and context are key.

Generally industry specs have a purpose for every field.  And define the
expected format for that field.
If its length it will not be factional, due to these problems. It will be
decimal with a possibly global manufacturing level definition of precision.
If its part of a constraints rule it may be in some symbolic language.
If its text then it is not intended to be calculated. (say a recipe book).

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org