Re: [xml-dev] What is this principle called: "I' send data in myUOM and youconvert it, as needed, to your UOM"?

If there is a name for it beyond tolerating noise in the exhange, I've
forgotten it.

One rubric is:  be strict in what you produce and generous in what you
consume.   In this sense, past XML itself (the draconian model), there
is no contract per se, thus all the arguments about internal data
modesl.

A contract-based exchange and not a blind exchange should have
signatory parties and that is what is most common in document
environments that I am familiar with.  Network theorists tend toward
blind exchange (islands) instead of contracts given considerations
which in general practice don't or shouldn't happen that often.  I am
aware of the scaling problems here.  I am also aware that those are
mostly social issues (life among the mammals).

Thus HTML5.   The more widely something is distributed the more
tightly and locally and authoritatively it has to be controlled rather
than negotiated in near time.   These systems will bite you if an item
is issued too far ahead, ie., beta code in mission critical systems.
It becomes a nastier problem when the contract for the data and the
contract for the producer are both shared from the same authoritative
source, but out of sync, as the case with undocumented and buggy
XSL-FO.   That turns into He Said She Said if one of the parties
cannot look inside to find problems.   That is why XSL-FOs are good
candidates for open source.

len