Re: [xml-dev] Is CVS A Practical Means to Manage XML Versions In AProduction Environment

"whereas XML documents usually don't have unique IDs."

I must be confused.  Unique id/idref management is one of the problems
to be solved although I wasn't looking at a version control system to
do that.

It is one of the tricky bits of using XSL (say and XSL-FO) because of
autogenerating numbers (say work package numbers) from id/idrefs where
the person redlining the document for changes (manually) refers to WP
numbers but the actual relationship is denoted by id/idref values that
are NOT the same numbers.  It's one of the challenges of using the
DTD/Schema as the governing authority yet the XSL determines the
actual end product.  This is a different topic and not discussed often
enough when training people to use these technologies.

There is a separate problem for procurement but I won't take that up
at this time.  Safe to say, far too many CDRLs are pointing into black
holes.

len