Re: [xml-dev] Is CVS A Practical Means to Manage XML Versions In AProduction Environment

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Johannes.Lichtenberger <Johannes.Lichtenberger@uni-konstanz.de> wrote:
On 09/17/2011 02:18 AM, Len Bullard wrote:
> The subject has the question.
>
> Assembling a free to near free environment for multiple authors working on
> multiple projects where some must be able to simultaneously edit then merge
> XML and illustrations, is free CVS a practical means?

I don't think CVS or any other common version control system is really
usable since it doesn't know anything about the inherent tree structure
of XML documents as well as other XML properties like the attribute-or
namespace-order, which is not significant.

True about the tree structure, but as far as the other bits are concerned, one solution is to canonicalize the XML before committing. A pre-commit hook would do the trick. Not a perfect solution because for example a user would have to canonicalize to diff and see updates, but good enough for many uses.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Weblog: http://copia.ogbuji.net