Re: [xml-dev] A proposal for application level XML 'namespaces'

Original Message From: "John Cowan"

>> I couldn't see how to make a solution backwards compatible with existing
>> XML namespaces without it actually being XML namespaces, and so I
>> opportunistically concluded that backwards compatibility was out of scope
>> :-)
>
> Well, MicroXML uses namespace syntax (except for QNames in element names,
> which are not allowed), but puts the information in the application layer.
> MicroLark provides namespace functions as a convenience, but does not
> hide xmlns and xmlns:* attributes.

My concern with doing this is that it looks like XML namespaces but isn't,
and that will just add to the confusion rather than reduce it.  It's not
really shortening a description of XML namespaces, but adding an extra
section along the lines of "...unless it's a namespace used in MicroXML, in
which case ignore what I just told you and handle at the application level
like this..."

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info