Re: [xml-dev] A proposal for application level XML 'namespaces'

Pete Cordell scripsit:

> My concern with doing this is that it looks like XML namespaces but
> isn't, and that will just add to the confusion rather than reduce it.
> It's not really shortening a description of XML namespaces, but adding
> an extra section along the lines of "...unless it's a namespace used
> in MicroXML, in which case ignore what I just told you and handle at
> the application level like this..."

True.  MicroXML is really about a simplified data model, and then a subset
of XML that supports that data model.  The data model is so simple you
can put it into one paragraph:

	A document's data model consists of at least one element
	object. An element object is an abstract description of a single
	element in a document. Each element object has three associated
	properties: the name, the attribute map, and the sequence of
	children. The name is a string, the attribute map maps name
	strings to value strings, and each child in the sequence is
	either a string representing character data or an element object.

		http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/MicroXML.html

As you can see, namespaces aren't mentioned, though the xmlns and xmlns:*
attributes are explained in the spec (which is less than 10 pages long).

--
We pledge allegiance to the penguin             John Cowan
and to the intellectual property regime         cowan@ccil.org