Re: [xml-dev] Re: [xquery-talk] [ANN] Zorba 2.0: completeXQuery/XSLT processor (C++, open source, Apache license)

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 07:32 +0100, Chris Burdess wrote:
> Daniela Florescu wrote:
> > How many people use XSLT 1.0 vs. 2.0 ?
>
> I have only ever used XSLT 1.0 in practice. This is partly because (as
> previously mentioned) there is a lack of open XSLT 2.0 processors
> available, especially on Linux. However the main reason is that I
> don't see a compelling reason to use the features of XSLT 2.0, which
> appear to be primarily centred around support for XSD datatypes. If
> you use XSLT for publishing or content management rather than for
> enterprisey typed data manipulation in PSVIs, 1.0 is quite sufficient.

I find a few features that I use a lot (e.g. better support for multiple
output documents), and Saxon is often noticeably faster than xsltproc
for me, even though the JVM has to start up.  FOr a while I was using
nailgun with XQuery to reduce startup time, and the same would probably
work with Saxon.

The ability to define functions, and to have them type-checked, I also
find very useful, even yes, for document processing ;)

Liam