Re: [xml-dev] [ Revision #2 ] 15 elementary truths about XML

Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> I apologize if my breaking things down into very simple concepts has offended anyone. That was not my intent.

Well, I'm also sorry I was so caustic. However, it's not the breaking down into simple concepts that vexed me, it's the frequent asking of questions that  are answered in the first chapter of the XML specification or in the first page of results of a Google search containing just the question text.

Let's imagine that there is a mailing list for Formula One automotive engineers to discuss Formula One technology and rules and keep abreast of developments in the field. Is it appropriate on this list to ask questions like "what is a car?" "does it have to have wheels?" "how do you win a race?" or "is it always the first car to cross the line that wins the race?", do you think?

Michael Kay wrote:
> Roger has developed a habit of asking apparently naive questions which often provoke a great deal of useful analysis and discussion. Many things that appear self-evident actually deserve to be scrutinized and occasionally challenged; the exercise can be very frustrating at times, but it often yields new insights.

I agree that it *can* yield new insights, but how often *has* it actually done so on this mailing list in response to one of Roger's questions?