RE: [xml-dev] [ Revision #2 ] 15 elementary truths about XML

The appropriateness of asking such questions would depend on the list's
stated purpose, wouldn't it? And the way you've stated the purpose in
your example, I can't see why they wouldn't be appropriate.

More to the present point, however, it is safe to say that asking such
questions would bore or annoy some people on such a list, while it would
engage others. And some of those who were bored or annoyed might
complain about the questions being inappropriate.

> I agree that it *can* yield new insights, but how often *has* it
> actually done so on this mailing list in response to one of Roger's
> questions?

I couldn't and wouldn't venture to answer your broader question, but I
can say that, as an XML newbie, I found the recent exchange sharpened my
thinking on several points, and in any case was easily deleted from my
inbox after I read/skimmed it.

But then, I suppose I have a conflict of interest here, as someone who
wants to feel free to ask what might turn out to be dumb questions.

Norm Birkett