RE: [xml-dev] Stability of schemas -- frequency of versioning

Well said.

Perhaps it's worth adding that some benefits are costs avoided, and some
are gains made. Changes made to achieve cost-avoidance benefits often
take resources away from more gain-driven changes. Having high running
costs that one must either pay or pay to avoid limits one's freedom
of decision.

Poor software design tends both to impose running costs and to
increase the cost of changes that are likely to be gainful. (The same can
be said of poorly managed software evolution--that is, bad design can be
built in or it can be grown into.)

Which is a long-winded way of saying that designing software well is a
really good idea.

Which leads me to a question for the list: Have you observed any tendency
among software developers to slight the design of XML languages, by
comparison with other interfaces (such as database schemas or APIs)?

If so, do you think that's because they suppose that tagged data is
somehow easier to change at the schema level than non-tagged data?

(I ask because I'm trying to get a sense of how software engineers tend
to think about XML schemas, and you all have WAY more experience with this
than I do.)

Norm Birkett