RE: [xml-dev] Stability of schemas -- frequency of versioning

I'd have to say from the tool building perspective, I'm disappointed
so far with what I am seeing of DTD support in system.xml from
Microsoft.  OTOH, I'm just refamiliarizing myself with system.xml and
I may have missed some important knowledge base articles.

There is a tendancy to think DTDs went the way of the dodo.  In MIL
land, this simply isn't true.  DTD design is advanced and has produced
workable by quite complex expressions.   One can chop these down to
minceable nuggets (eg, at the work package level), but then getting
these into validatible form and validating input coming from non-XML
authoring tools (say Word) becomes a significant challenge.

IOW, I think of these questions in terms of the toolkits and
frameworks, the notion being if an interface, human or otherwise, can
get me documented well-formed XML, I can do the rest but I still have
to live with the GFI.  Sometimes the harder problem is explaining that
to the technical writers and their managers who still want to believe
a well-styled manual is a good one.

len