From: Liam R E Quin [mailto:liam@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2012 1:00 PM
To: David Lee
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] what's missing in XML? What's coming?

On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 10:27 -0500, David Lee wrote:
> What's missing ?

David, thanks for replying!

> 1) A Standard (or well adopted convention) for Serialized XDM so that
> programs may exchange XDM in addition to XML

I think (Rich Salz notwithstanding) EXI 2 may do this. Remains to be
seen, but I hope so.

----

Any reference to this ?
I've plotted out a course for this but not sure if its the right track:

http://xml.calldei.com/XDMSerialize

I have seen nothing similar ... but would love to.

> 2) Better support for XDM in XQuery and XSLT to allow the input 'document'
> to be any XDM value, and corresponding support in the implementations to
> portably read such data (see #1)
I'm not sure on the status of this; the first part is already there I
think, unless you're asking for a further relaxing of constraints in the
XDM - in which case please file a comment against the last call draft of
the XDM 3.0 that was published in December; the Status section of the
document has a link to the Bugzilla instance for doing that.

As for implementations - can you think of ways we could test it? if so,
feel free to contribute tests, or to join the WG :-) or just to bug the
vendors.

-----------

Again, any references ? I havent seen any hints of support for XDM as the
input for XQuery or XSLT ...
(say a sequence ...)

Join the WG ... any suggestions on how to Join W3C unless my employeer has
deep pockets ?

> 3) Adoption of the JSON Data model into XDM so that
XPath/XSLT/XQuery/Schema
> can be directly used on JSON data

Agreed.

> 4) A standard/convention for JSON / XDM conversions  to allow #1 as  both
> input and output.

Not sure if this is premature, but it may fall under your No, 3 above.
------

Reference ? How ?