Re: [xml-dev] what's missing in XML? What's coming?

Liam,

    Two thoughts on an interesting topic that could address the fundamentals of XML evolution.

Something to add:  Full data type specifications with properties, constraints, associations and event driven methods.  This can move much of behavior specification and implementation out of the agent.  With this, by the way, schema, as currently constructed, specify constructors for data types, not the data types themselves.

Something to remove: Distinctions between element attributes and contents.

     Bill

In a message dated 1/2/2012 1:06:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, liam@w3.org writes:
On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 10:27 -0500, David Lee wrote:
> What's missing ?

David, thanks for replying!

> 1) A Standard (or well adopted convention) for Serialized XDM so that
> programs may exchange XDM in addition to XML

I think (Rich Salz notwithstanding) EXI 2 may do this. Remains to be
seen, but I hope so.

> 2) Better support for XDM in XQuery and XSLT to allow the input 'document'
> to be any XDM value, and corresponding support in the implementations to
> portably read such data (see #1)
I'm not sure on the status of this; the first part is already there I
think, unless you're asking for a further relaxing of constraints in the
XDM - in which case please file a comment against the last call draft of
the XDM 3.0 that was published in December; the Status section of the
document has a link to the Bugzilla instance for doing that.

As for implementations - can you think of ways we could test it? if so,
feel free to contribute tests, or to join the WG :-) or just to bug the
vendors.

> 3) Adoption of the JSON Data model into XDM so that XPath/XSLT/XQuery/Schema
> can be directly used on JSON data

Agreed.

> 4) A standard/convention for JSON / XDM conversions  to allow #1 as  both
> input and output.

Not sure if this is premature, but it may fall under your No, 3 above.

> 5) "Excel for XML" (or XDM see #1) so prevalent and accepted that it becomes
> acceptable to pass XML among business partners instead of having to convert
> to/from CSV or XLS.

Well, that would be nice. It'd have to offer a business advantage - one
or more of
. faster
. lower cost
. enabling (things you couldn't do before)

Thanks for the feedback!

Liam